Saturday, May 29, 2010

NPR: 'Mein Girl': Motown's Hits, Found In Translation


'Mein Girl': Motown's Hits, Found In Translation

Americans remember The Four Tops for classic hits like "I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)." But Italians may know the same song under a different name: "Piangono Gli Uomini."

The Four Tops recorded their Italian-language version of "I Can't Help Myself" in 1966. In fact, they'd often record many of their hits in several other tongues.

More at the link, including the soundfiles, for several of the major Motown bands, including the pictured Temptations; this doesn't quite make up for botches like the Davis book interview, but it helps.

4 comments:

George said...

Where do you come up with this stuff? Thanks for sending it my way!

Todd Mason said...

My work is such that I'm always auditing things for the more mindless aspects, tuning out when the brain needs to be more fully engaged. NPR, Pacifica, BBC Radio 4, soundtracks of things on Hulu and Comedy Central sites, and a lot of comedy podcasts feed the ear. I figured the folks who I sent it along to would be acutely interested.

C. Margery Kempe said...

HA HA HA! Wonderful!

muhammadatiq1973 said...

mein girl its very wonderful classic hits i like