Saturday, May 1, 2010

So...why Sela Ward?

Not too long ago a fellow blogger, a peer and near-contemporary of actor/ex-model/ex-cheerleader Sela Ward, wondered, close paraphrase, Why are all men so crazy about her, anyway?



Well, aside from her talent, beauty (which by me peaked in the years she was doing the rather mixed bag of a series Sisters and such films as The Fugitive, and hasn't eroded much since) and demonstrated intelligence, she also has a persona, which often comes through in her roles as well as her interviews, that suggests she's the kind of woman who might cheerfully consider sleeping with a man she might meet, if circumstances were propitious (such as if she wasn't already apparently happily married)...or at least becoming friendly acquaintances...and actually might enjoy talking with him just about as much or at least along with the physical intimacies (and she comes across as one who wouldn't feel threatened by other women, either). She comes across, in other words, as adult, and not guarded (a quality understandably common in either the conventionally pretty or the famous), and certainly sensible and friendly--not always true, frequently not true, of women who've had similar careers.



Simple as that.

6 comments:

James Reasoner said...

I still like Sela Ward, but I'm thinking of switching my allegiance to Sandra Bullock, who has the added benefit of living in the same state I do. (Oh, yeah, like that's gonna help . . .)

Phillyradiogeek said...

So Todd, when does the restraining order expire? ;)

C. Margery Kempe said...

@Phillyradiogeek Hee hee -- aw, can't a guy wax rhapsodic about a respected thespian without accusations of stalkerdom?

I love her. And I loved Sisters which was my guilty pleasure when I started grad school. Yeah, it went off the rails in a big way, but I adored Teddy from the start and her romance with Falconer who I guess went on to some doctor show and a few movies, but phht.

Todd Mason said...

Kate--I never paid enough attention to the action on SISTERS to know who Ward's character Teddy was dating...I think SISTERS was what was on NBC just before HOMICIDE for several seasons, so I might flip over there, be enchanted by Ward, rather unengaged by whatever else was happening, and then watch the good show. Did George Clooney play Falconer? I'm guessing as much.

Brian--if anyone's getting an RO against me for this blog, it'd probably be Maria Bamford. But I suspect Kelly Ripa would look into you first...

James--well, you know, if Livia doesn't mind, who else can reasonably complain?

pattinase (abbott) said...

Nice to have it all laid out for us.

Todd Mason said...

Your servant, madam. And as James would concur, daydreams spring eternal.