Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Tuesday's Overlooked Films and/or Other A/V: the links

Marlowe
Below, the links to this week's reviews and citations--a larger than usual number of (I suspect valuable) warnings among the recommendations...and a number of memories of James Garner.  As always, please let me know in comments when I've missed yours or someone else's...and, as always, thanks to all our contributors and to you readers...


Anne Billson: The Ten Most Pretentious Films

Bill Crider: Marlowe [trailer]

BV Lawson: Media Murder

Corey Redekop: Alex Cross
I Love Trouble

Dan Stumpf: The Great St. Louis Bank Robbery

Ed Gorman: character actors; John Sayles on Anthony Mann

Ed Lynskey: 87th Precinct

Elizabeth Foxwell: Knight without Armor

Evan Lewis: I Love Trouble

Strange Days
George Kelley: Life Itself

How Did This Get Made?: Gooby

Iba Dawson: underrated movies

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.: The Killer that Stalked New York; checking in

Jackie Kashian: Rhea Butcher on Back to the Future and the Magical Strong Woman & such

Jacqueline T. Lynch: The Student Prince

Jake Hinkson: Snowpiercer; Noah

Jayme Lynn Blaschke: Babylon-5: "The Parliament of Dreams"

Jonathan Lewis: Horizons West: Border Incident; The Raid

James Reasoner: herding cats

Jerry House: The Adventures of Long John Silver: "The Necklace" (pilot)

The Long Summer of George Adams
John Charles: Beast of the Yellow Night

John Grant: Blind Alibi; Wonders in the Dark

Kliph Nesteroff: Betsy Palmer

Laura: The Girl in White; TCM on James Garner; The Long Summer of George Adams

Lucy Brown: The Happiest Days of Your Life

Martin Edwards: Headhunters

Marty McKee: Strike Force

Max Allan Collins: James Garner; SD ComicCon

Michael Shonk: Petrocelli: "The Golden Cage" (pilot)

The Food Guide to Love
Mystery Dave: Coneheads

Prashant Trikannad: The Food Guide to Love; The Odd Life of Timothy Green

Randy Johnson: Nancy Drew...Trouble Shooter; A Taste of Vengeance (aka I vigliacchi non pregano)

Rick: The Western Film Fair

Rod Lott: The Diabolical Dr. Z

Sergio Angelini: Circus of Fear

Stacia Jones: Fort Apache

Stephen Bowie: Universal TV's syndication butchery

Steve Lewis: The Naked Jungle; The Cyclops

Yvette Banek: Tom Conway as The Falcon

The Girl in White

9 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Hiya Todd - great roundup and great to see garner being celebrated - I'll never be able to change my answerphone message now!

Todd Mason said...

I take it you run the opening from THE ROCKFORD FILES?

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Todd, thanks for the post link and picture display. A review of a James Garner film would have been more appropriate. I did see and briefly review his TOMBSTONE (with Jason Robards) a few weeks ago. He was a very composed actor.

Alice Chang said...

Well, Prashant, nothing's stopping you from doing a piece on Garner for next week! Your review of HOUR OF THE GUN with Garner (the one that covers the same legendary gun battle as TOMBSTONE) is linked in a Tuesday's A/V a few weeks back, and Ron Scheer also reviewed the film a couple of years ago.

Thanks for your continued participation...THE FOOD GUIDE TO LOVE was new to me, and looks promising.

Todd Mason said...

That above is me, accidentally posting under my housemate Alice's login...

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Todd, I completely forgot that Garner's Tombstone film, which I saw and wrote about, was called HOUR OF THE GUN. I do remember you linking it. I think I'm seeing so many films that I'm forgetting the titles.

michael said...

Todd, thanks for posting my Mystery File post but the PETROCELLI episode was not the pilot but episode one of the series.

Todd Mason said...

Fair enough, Michael...usually those are one and the same. There was a previous pilot?

michael said...

Oops, forgot to answer your question. The character of Petrocelli first appeared in TV Movie THE LAWYER (1970). A TV Movie NIGHT GAMES appeared in 1974 and was the series pilot.