Monday, December 7, 2015

Billboard LP Charts, Week Ending 7 August 1965: Saturday Music Club on Monday

















It was fifty years ago and some months change, and the week I had my first natal anniversary. (You'll find Part 2 here.)


























Pop Charts:
1. Beatles VI


2. Herman's Hermits On Tour


3. The Sound of Music


4. Mary Poppins


5. My Name Is Barbra


6. The Byrds Mr. Tambourine Man


7. The Rolling Stones, Now!


8.  The Beach Boys Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!)


9. Andy Williams' Dear Heart


10.  The Beach Boys Today!


11. The Righteous Brothers Just Once in My Life

"You Are My Sunshine" not embeddable.

12. Nancy Wilson Today--My Way 


13. Bob Dylan Bringing It All Back Home

14. Sinatra '65

15. Original Cast 
The Fiddler on the Roof 

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool post. I don't own any of those LPs.

Todd Mason said...

Thanks...you got me thinking about which configurations of these albums I have copies of...five or arguably six, out of the two lists...see next comments. Though I forgot to mention or count GETZ/GILBERTO a moment ago answering there...the ones I definitely have in these formats are also the Byrds, Stones, Dylan, Franklin, and arguably the later expansion of the Miracles...and I certainly have almost all if not all the Cooke songs and most of the Coles in other packages, as well, among the other reshuffles mentioned there (and the Bach Guild release of the Bach pieces).

Don Coffin said...

One time or another, I have owned 5 of those--Beatles VI, My Name Is Barbra, Mr. Tambourine Man, Rolling Stones Now, & Bringing It All Back Home. Seems strange to see 3 soundtrack albums, to say nothing of Andy Williams and Frank Sinatra...

Todd Mason said...

The joys of the mid-'60s commercial landscape. Go back to 1960, and you find Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart comedy albums among the pop "top ten"...no clear idea how corrupt those listings were (by the standards of most bestseller lists, such as the NEW YORK TIMES, where the books the TIMES and publishers Want to be on the list are, but it's safe to bet they're pretty corrupted.

Todd Mason said...

And if Streisand, why not her previous-gen peers...Tony Bennett can still hit charts now...

Rick Robinson said...

I've the majority of them, which should be no surprise, but not Streisand, whom I dislike. I too Shelley Berman and Bob Newhart comedy albums.

Todd Mason said...

I'm not the biggest fan of "Babs" myself, though she was singing better in those early years...also interesting, the degree to which Berman felt Newhart was ripping him off, or so I think...