Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tuesday's Overlooked Films And/Or Other A/V: yet more links


There are likely to be a few additional links over the course of the day, and perhaps even my own backlog of reviews promised but not yet written (the republic will stand, I suspect). Please let me know if I've missed your or someone else's review for today in comments, and please do leave comments as they strike you at the participator's blogs...or let me know if you'd like to participate...thanks!

Antti Alanen: Meghe dhaka tara (aka The Cloud-Capped Star)

Bill Crider: The Thing with Two Heads [trailer]

Brent McKee: The Glass House (ABC, 2012)

Brian Arnold: The 20-Minute Workout

Ed Gorman: Gun Crazy and the other films of Joseph Lewis

Evan Lewis: Hop-a-long Cassidy (aka Hopalong Cassidy Enters) (1935)

Elisabeth Grace Foley: The Waltons

Elizabeth Foxwell: The New Victorians

Iba Dawson: Wet Hot American Summer; Little Darlings

Ivan G. Shreve, Jr.: William Wyler blogathon, Radio Spirits etc.

Jackie Kashian: Stitcher's 4 Women Comedian Podcasts

Jake Hinkson: Hombre

James Reasoner: Midway (1976)

Jeff Flugel: Phase IV

Jerry House: "The Temp" (2003 short film)

John Charles: Behind Locked Doors (aka Human Gorilla); Strange Impersonation

John Harvey: Mickey One

Juri Nummelin: The Saint of Fort Washington

Kate Laity: Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid

Lawrence Person and Howard Waldrop: Monsters (2010 film) [theme music/clips]

Marty McKee: B.A.D. Cats

Mike Tooney: Gunsmoke: "The Fourth Victim" (1974)

Patti Abbott: Alice Adams (1935)

Prashant Trikannad: Operation: Daybreak

Randy Johnson: Picture Mommy Dead

Rod Lott: Shock Corridor

Ron Scheer: Riding Shotgun

Scott Cupp: Zotz!

Sergio Angelini: Rollercoaster

Stacia Jones: Freebie and the Bean

Yvette Banek: Lady on a Train

Zybahn: Keyword searches

6 comments:

Yvette said...

Hi Todd, here I am lagging behind again. But this time it's not my fault. Really. Google-Blogger is giving me such a difficult time in composition form. It took me ages to get my post looking presentable (and that's not counting the time spent editing), luckily I wrote the thing earlier or I'd still be at it.

What a pain. Anyway, it's posted now and that's that.

Elisabeth Grace Foley said...

Thanks for picking up that link—a pleasant surprise, since I wasn't even thinking of this meme when I wrote today's post. The one you linked to is actually an old post from almost a year ago, but I think it's the better of the two. :)

Yvette said...

Todd, I was cruising here and there looking for fun sci-fi covers for my Pinterest board when I came upon this hoard of paperback sci-fi covers which might interest you. Most of these authors I've never heard of, but I'll bet you're familiar with most of 'em. Still it was fun to see them like this, lined up one after the other. Most of them are really ghastly - speaking artistically, but fun to look through.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/22742217@N00/pool/with/7372729180/#photo_7372729180

Todd Mason said...

Thanks for fighting with the delights of Blogger, Yvette, and for the link. Yes, most of the writers and editors of the books pictured there are well-established, and you're right, that's a pretty undistinguished mix of at best decent, but few excellent, and a whole lot of pedestrian, covers...that the compiler for some reason thinks (particularly in the case of the 1970s covers) wouldn't be used today...I'd disagree, there. You can do a lot better, and one way you might is looking for cover-collections that don't use the term "sci-fi"--often the indicator that the sf fan in question isn't too sophisticated.

Elisabeth, no problem, and thanks...sometimes I "go deep" in the participating blogs if there is something that looks like it might be of interest to the audience here.

Jeff Flugel said...

Hiya, Todd! Like to join in the fun again if I may:

http://thestalkingmoon.weebly.com/5/post/2012/06/phase-iv-1974.html

Thanks again for putting this all together!

Todd Mason said...

Thanks! Reminds me I need to buy some ant traps.