Thursday, September 27, 2012

September's Underappreciated Music: the links

This month, we have a preponderance of rather well-appreciated people...but not always their most appreciated work...and some folks who were appreciated for one (or as many as three) very specific things...more might be added to this list as the day progresses!

Patti Abbott: the Scala & Kolacny Brothers chorale

Sean Coleman: Black Sabbath: Vol 4

Bill Crider: One-Hit Wonders

Jeff Gemmill: Rumer: Boys Don't Cry

Lee Hartsfeld: Hal David songs

Jerry House: Judy Garland

Randy Johnson: Gary Wright: The Dream Weaver




Lawrence Person: Thrushes (covering Mazzy Star)

(and here's Mazzy Star)

Charlie Ricci: Peter Green: In the Skies

Ron Scheer: Bill Monroe


9 comments:

George said...

This is the most diverse group of music yet! Plenty of great music to explore!

Todd Mason said...

Agreed! It might be the most diverse group since I've been "hosting" at least...

neer said...

Dear Todd

Here's my FFB. Anthony Gilbert's Death Knocks Three times

http://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2012/09/forgotten-books-death-knocks-three.html

Charlie Ricci said...

Judy Garland will never be forgotten as long as The Wizard of Oz is with us.

Todd Mason said...

Thanks, Neer.

No, I think you're right, Charlie, though her OZ film is no longer an annual television event, I think...and "annual television events" reach much smaller audiences than they used to. Certainly her embrace by the camp-ish community hasn't hurt her sustained visibility/audibility, either...though I'm not sure how many worse Guantanamo-style tortures I could conceive than having to listen to Rufus Wainwright's re-recording of her most famous concert album would be, at any volume level. But that's just his voice, and to some extent his 'tude.

Richard L. Pangburn said...

Wow, I'd like to explore this music.

Meanwhile, Todd, here's my Forgotten Book Friday for this week:

http://trackofthecat.blogspot.com/2012/09/books-die-for-which-i-reviewed-other.html

Todd Mason said...

You can join in here, too, Richard. I'll check to make sure that I took the book you wanted here for FFB...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the signal boost. The normally combative commenters on the comics forum apparently have nothing to say about Dee or opera. Huh. Then again, I've had four releases this month and nary a rating or review on a one of them. I'm beginning to doubt I even exist.

Todd Mason said...

Hmmm...there are traces of some sort of comment directly above, but I don't quite make out any words...

Well, when the dust from upheaval around the office, and the slow slide healthwise of nearly everyone I care about or need to take care of (including me) finally halts, I hope to take up one of your new and repackaged items (Alice absconded with my tablet, as I tend to use her upstairs PC all the time) in hand and comment after. Assuming I can break away from the office...and...and...y'know, life can be fraught.